Volunteer Marine Rescue Hervey Bay offers courses and conducts examinations for two (2) Marine Radio licences, on behalf of The Australian Maritime College (AMC).
- SROCP -Short Range VHF Operators Certificate of Proficiency. The SROCP qualification allows the operator to operate a VHF marine radio.
- LROCP -Long Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency. The LROCP qualification allows the operator to operate both VHF and the MF/HF marine radios. This course should be undertaken by those who wish to work on a commercial marine vessel or those who wish to volunteer with a marine rescue organisation.
The following minimum requirements must be met prior to sitting an examination for a marine radio operator’s certificate of proficiency.
- Minimum age – 16 years
- Application must be completed and fees paid
- Must supply one current, colour passport size photograph of yourself (head and shoulders – no hats, sunglasses or other obstructions), at the time of sitting the examination.
- Photo ID is required on the day of the examination eg driver’s licence
The course starts at 8:30am and is generally completed by 2:00pm (bring your lunch if you wish). The course and exam is held in the training room at Volunteer Marine Rescue Hervey Bay, 1 Buccaneer Drive Urangan (next to the Hervey Bay Boat Club).
It is strongly recommended that applicants work through the relevant handbook and revision questions on line. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to undertake their own study prior to the course, to make sure they are adequately prepared for the SROCP or LROCP examination.
You can purchase the appropriate handbook from the office or view them online –
Revision Questions SROCP.
Can be found HERE
The examination consists of 25 multi-choice questions (duration 30 minutes with a 70% pass mark) and a practical component. It is a ‘closed book’ exam.
Revision Questions LROCP.
Can be found HERE
The examination consists of 50 multi-choice questions (duration 1 hour with a 70% pass mark) and a practical component. It is a ‘closed book’ exam.
ATTENDING THE COURSE/EXAMINATION
All Fees are payable to VMR Hervey Bay PRIOR to acceptance of your application.
When attending for the course and examination candidates have to bring with them:
- Black or Blue Biro Pen
- Pencil and Eraser
- Passport sized photo
- Photo ID